Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MIC-KEY Button Info...

I won't lie.. I was more than a little concerned about Annalise's MIC-KEY button. However, I found a support group on Facebook and I spent some free time (har har!) reading their postings and watching their videos. The knowledge empowered me and I pounced on Brandon when he walked in the door one night to tell him all I learned.

But Brandon is a hands on learner. So I was secretly pleased when Mama K walked Brandon through giving Annalise her first feeding from her new Daddy! I watched on and sure enough, it was exactly like the video said.

Now I am certain that this is manageable!

We've gotten a few questions about what it is like and how it works, so I thought I'd post a video I found. This is how we will feed her all of her baby formula. She is working on taking things by mouth, but they have to be thickened to at least a honey or nectar consistency because she aspirates liquids. Maybe one day, but for now we choose to be thankful that she can receive her nutrition through another method! For now, her goal is to be a "social eater." That means that they want her to be able to sit at the table with her family and taste things. Like if she were at a birthday party, she could take a bite of cake, etc.

Annalise has a feeding pump that puts 1 cc through the tube a minute. So her 60 cc (about 2 fluid ounces) feedings take one hour. Then 3 hours from the start of her first feed, she starts again. So really, there will be a two hour break in between feedings. Her feeding pump will go everywhere with us. Her feedings are done at 6 am, 9 am, 12 noon, 3 pm, 6 pm, 9 pm.

Overnight, she has a continuous feed as she sleeps.

We are also using this video to show our girls how their new sister will eat. Of course, when I first told Julianne that Annalise doesn't use bottles, she thought I was going to nurse her "like Solomon." You should have seen her face when I told her no, not that way either. My poor little boogie-bear was SO confused! (Psst... it is possible to nurse an adoptive baby..)

Click on the link below. It will take you to You Tube.

MIC-KEY Video

~Steph

No comments: