Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review: Sidetracked Home Executives by Pam Young and Peggy Jones

I'm always looking for "systems" to help our household run more smoothly. I currently have a system that has been tweaked and updated many times over the years. Several fellow mommies, recommended this book and loved the system it described so I was eager to hear what it was all about.

I checked it out of the local library and started reading it during naptime one day.

The basis of their system is a box of 3 x 5 index cards. At first, this sounded appealing to me. I love index cards! The index cards are different colors based on the frequency that the task needs to be completed. Tasks that need completed more often appear in the box more often.

The stories that they share of their previous times as Slob Sisters were humorous. Most of the book was an easy read although the set up directions were a bit confusing. I read all the way through the first time and then went back and read the set up chapters a few times.

Before jumping in and started yet another system that would never get used, I sat down and thought it out.

I finally decided that this will not work for my family! First... we don't do well with little pieces of anything! I'd have to add a task to my day called "card control." Second, my life at this time doesn't really work this way. I like my way much better!

I can see this working for people that are childless or with older children. Or perhaps people that have a tiny touch of OCD.

I plan to share my current system soon! It's much more "planner-ish" or "daytimer" than a thousand index cards. *giggle*

No comments: