Sunday, January 17, 2010

Allergic Reaction times Two...


Tuesday when I went to the OB I showed him a hard knot in my under arm. Lumps, knots and cysts all frighten the bejeebers out of me and that fear only got worse when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer my junior year of high school. I had showed him the month before and he thought it was nothing.

This time Dr. S thought it was an infection because it was red and painful. I reminded him I was allergic to Penicillin and he sighed and asked about Keflex. I've taken it in the past with no issues even though about 15% of people that are allergic to Penicillin are also allergic to Keflex. He wrote me a prescription, gave me a referral to another doc in case it actually needs drained and sent me on my merry little way.

Key word from the above paragraph: PAST.

We filled the prescription and I took my first dose. No biggie. Wednesday I took three doses (one pill three times a day.) Thursday I took three doses again and a few hours after that last dose, I told Brandon I was very itchy and going to take a bath and go to bed. Brandon was headed up behind me and by the time he walked in the bathroom I was scratching like I'd be overtaken by a swarm of fire ants. Brandon said I had large red whelps all over me. I sent him downstairs to get the children's Benadryl since I knew I didn't have the adult variety in the house. I took the recommended adult dosage and got in a cool bath. Shortly after I got out of bath, the itching was gone and I was then Benadryl drunk and was fast asleep.

Friday we called my doctor and let him know that I showed an allergy to Keflex and he called me in another prescription. This time he prescribed a Z pack.

Again, I've showed no issues with taking Zpacks in the past. (Are you seeing a theme here?) Took my first dose of two pills the first night. I thought I felt a little itchy but I also thought I could be imagining things after my experience the night before.

Saturday I took my one pill with dinner and about 4 hours later, my legs felt like they were on fire and I was again itching to death. I had large red whelps on the back of my legs. Again, I took the adult dose of children's Benadryl and took a cool bath. Again I was Benadryl drunk and fast asleep....

So... right now I'm not on any antibiotics and I'll be calling the doctors office again, in the morning so he can decide what to do with me.

I'm a bit concerned that I'm now showing allergies to a major family of antibiotics and TWO frequently used alternatives. Have I mentioned I have no spleen so I NEED to be able to take antibiotics when they are necessary?

Oh and as a side note... my oldest daughter shows an adverse reaction to Benadryl and is allergic to peanuts and rocephin(also an antibiotic.) Brandon is allergic to the entire penicillin and sulfa drug families. Julianne and Xander have no known drug allergies at this time. I need a notebook to keep all this straight!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Ugh. You poor dear!! Maybe it's really the baby who is allergic to all those meds. ;)